For MindThatEgo Podcast #4, I’m joined by Valerie Mason-John. Valerie (a.k.a Vimalasara) is an award-winning author, public speaker, and co-founder of Eight Step Recovery.
The structure of our discussion is based on her book, Eight Step Recovery: Using the Buddha’s Teachings to Overcome Addiction. Expanding on the Four Noble Truths, Valerie (and co-author Paramabandhu Groves) distill ancient wisdom to create a practical approach to tackle addiction. These steps are:
- Step One: Accepting human life will bring suffering.
- Step Two: Seeing how we create extra suffering.
- Step Three: Embracing impermanence to show us suffering can end.
- Step Four: Being willing to step on the path of recovery and discover freedom.
- Step Five: Transforming speech, actions, livelihood.
- Step Six: Placing positive values at the centre of our lives.
- Step Seven: Making every effort to stay on the path of recovery.
- Step Eight: Helping others by sharing the benefits we have gained.
Listen as Valerie guides us through each step. Drugs, alcohol, food, sex, shopping, social media… None of us escape addiction, to varying degrees. Consequently, the wisdom contained within this eight-step process is beneficial to all of us — spiritual or non-spiritual.
I highly recommend reading the book, which contains an in-depth exploration into the topic, as well as a host of tools and resources. Find more information on the Eight Step program here or send Valerie an email at firstname.lastname@example.org — she’s more than happy to answer questions.