OTHER PLACES TO LISTEN:
Please subscribe on your favourite platform!
I’m joined by Steve Taylor to discuss the micro and macro qualities of awakening, and what Steve calls the panspiritist worldview. Steve is a senior lecturer in psychology at Leeds Beckett University, and the author of several best-selling books on psychology and spirituality. These include Back to Sanity, The Leap, Spiritual Science, and his new book, Extraordinary Awakenings: When Trauma Leads to Transformation.
Eckhart Tolle has described his work as ‘an important contribution to the shift in consciousness which is happening on our planet at present.’ It’s clear to why — the world desperately needs a different approach to nature, the self, and spirituality, in a way grounded in science. I found Steve’s work early on in my awakening process and was inspired and relieved by the discoveries in science and psychology that support awakening.
I’ve wanted to talk with him for years, and I was delighted to get the opportunity. The discussion covers the signs of awakening, including guidance for those on the path, as well as the research and discoveries of science that support these non-ordinary states, from NDEs to psi and beyond.
Key talking points:
- What is transpersonal psychology? Steve explains his personal journey of awakening and how he thought he was crazy before discovering this new field of psychology.
- The definition of an awakening experience and the transcendence of separation.
- Connection as a fundamental reality.
- How trauma can lead to the dissolution of ego and transformation into a “higher self”.
- Why the material worldview is a belief system based on unfounded assumptions.
- How this worldview impacts the environment and cultural nihilism.
- How scientism leads to cognitive bias and dismissal of evidence of findings outside of that worldview.
- The link between consciousness, quantum physics, and spirituality.
- How connection can help shift depression.
- Reassurance that spiritual experiences are not pathological, but normal.
- A few thoughts on the evolution of consciousness and how its manifesting in the world today.
- Website: https://www.stevenmtaylor.com/
- Extraordinary Awakenings (book): https://www.stevenmtaylor.com/books/extraordinary-awakenings/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stevetaylorauthor
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/stevetaylorauthor/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SMTaylorauthor
Title music: Monday Morning Wake Up Call by David Birch